Monday 11 March 2013

The Appeal of...Part IV

Asia, the world's largest and most populous continent. It is a vast area to cover with much to see. So where in Asia am I drawn to? Where will I sojourn?

I am of the mind that there are certain places everyone should visit given the opportunity, whether there is an interest in it or not. These places I view as being like no other. Two of them are in Asia: India and Thailand. Now is this idea a valid one? Perhaps, perhaps not. There is only one way to confirm this in my mind. Yep, you know it - to go there and see for myself.






The Appeal Of:

India:

Oh where to begin? Descriptions that make their way to my ears conjure images like no other country does. Assorted religions, numerous languages, curious customs and life ripe with colours, smells and sounds both grab my attention and intimidate me simultaneously. Yet, amid this muddle of an image I have, I very much want to "get" India. 

Bhutan:

The allure of this destination is strong yet it is very unlikely that I will be able to visit during this RTW trip. I will get there, just perhaps not this time around. I am intrigued by this Himalayan country where "Gross National Happiness" is a mandate and modern technology is adopted slowly and warily.

Vietnam:
Everything. Pretty much everything I have heard or read about Vietnam incites me to hop on a plane and check it out. 

Cambodia:

Although I am not religious I do find much religious architecture beautiful and fascinating. The Hindu temple of Angkor Wat is no exception. It is the primary pull for me.


Indonesia:

An archipelago country of over 17,000 islands - you know you will have plenty to see and do. Jakarata, Borobudur Temple, the islands of Flores and Sulawesi, beaches and Komodo dragons (Komodo Island). I think I may just spend an obscene amount of time in this country.

Malaysia:

Truthfully, I aim to visit Malaysia for its food. It has been oft-repeated that food is the best in its country of origin. The Malay food I have tried in Vancouver is mouth-watering, savory and oh-so-heavenly. If it is better in Malaysia then chances are considerable that I may never return.

Thailand:

As I stated previously, Thailand is one of the places in the world that I think everyone should visit. And that is the only reason I will go. I may send shock waves to die hard Thai fans but I have no desire to visit Thailand. I do think it is a unique locale, however, I am just not feeling it. Though, that is the reason I will go. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised. Or not. I guess I will wait and see.

2 more continents left...onto Australia!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, feedback, opinions and ideas welcome.