Tuesday 5 February 2013

The Appeal Of...Part II

Ah Europe, how I love thee! I have been to Europe on numerous occasions. I always am enamored by its countless charms. It is a continued love affair since I have barely dipped a toe into the history, architecture and beauty that is all of Europe. I have been enthralled by western Europe but have yet to experience eastern Europe, an area that elicits much ardor from its admirers. Sadly,my stint in Europe will be shorter than I desire, primarily since it can be a costly endeavor. 







Although cost is a consideration I can not leave it out entirely. My heritage is in Europe (Finland) and it is time I come to know this aspect of my family's history. That is an integral part of my plan. Visits to other areas of Europe are also swirling in my mind. Here listed are my intended "targets", many  I hope can be manifested into my travel tales:


The Appeal of:

London, England

L-O-N-D-O-N -- enough said.  In actuality this will likely be a means. Ryanair has flights from London to Tampere, Finland at reduced costs. Therefore it is a logical destination to include in my European leg. And I like London.

Paris, France

If anyone has to ask why I want to return to Paris, then they do not know me at all. Alas, I may not be able to return to my beloved Paris on this trip. Then again...

Finland

My heritage, my history, me.

Riga, Latvia

This may result in being only a station stop. Air Baltic flies from Helsinki to Baku via Riga. A possible stay here will hinge on flight costs and times.

Baku, Azerbaijan

This place is a must-see for me. I confess that my geography has been lax for many world areas (bad Eeva). Azerbaijan is one of those that my knowledge is minimal, if non-existent. I happened upon a Youtube video commercial by chance, an accidental click that piqued my interest. A former Soviet state that is now a mix of old and new, Azerbaijan has captivated me. I will also visit outside of Baku to see the contrasts of city and country. Considered neither Europe nor Asia, I plot to see as much as I am able.

Turkey

Another desired locale that is a "maybe". So much to see and learn in a country steeped in history. Istanbul, a city that is both part of Europe and Asia by way of the Bosphorus. A world of the past in Cappadocia. It will be hard to resist trekking to this much desired place.

Greece

Again, another "maybe". In all honesty, Greece will only be a destination if a good friend of mine    is able to go pending time, finances and our ability (or lack thereof) to plan.

Malta

An archipelago country in the Mediterrean Sea, Malta has seen its share of rulers. From Greeks and Romans to Arabs and Normans, onto Napoleon's armies, the British Empire and finally independence, I am intrigued by this small country. How can I not visit and stay awhile?

There it is, my intended stops and a few hopefuls. I hope this comes to fruition. Next stop: Africa!













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, feedback, opinions and ideas welcome.