Wednesday 2 September 2009

Countdown to Paris

In August of 1991 I backpaced western Europe with my friend Izabela. That trip I embarked on, at the age of 21, was a pivital point in my life - it's when I realized I was a traveler. I needed to see as much as I could of what the world offers. I had to go! And I did. For many years. Then it came to standstill as I reluctantly, took a "leave of absence", if you will, from travel. Seven years is along time, a lifetime it seems, to wait to do what I love. Happily, that is about to change! In  less than 2 weeks time I am packing my bags, boarding a plane and heading to PARIS BABY!

Few cities can conjure up that immediate reaction of "wow". Paris is one of those cities. For the brief time that I spent in Paris so long ago, I have dreamed of returning so I can immerse myself in all that makes it a such an incredible city. My "comeback" to travel is timely. I will be celebrating the beginning of life, as the saying implies, by climbing the steps of the Eiffel Tower on my 40th birthday. I even hope to smuggle a small bottle of champagne too (hell, it's Paris, they might even offer me one!)

My motto: "If 'Life Begins at 40', then I'm celebrating by drinking champagne on top of the Eiffel Tower."

Only 11 more days.

Iza, me (on right) & her friend in Paris, 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, feedback, opinions and ideas welcome.