Monday 8 August 2011

To write about it or not?

I have thought a fair bit about whether or not to write about riots that occurred in Vancovuer on June 15, 2011 following the Vancovuer Canucks loss of the Stanley Cup Finals to the Boston Bruins. It's been almost 2 months and the city has been cleaned up and the media has moved onto other events. It was an awful time to see my city in that state. An awful time to see the actions of these Canadians being so violent - something that Canadians are not usually known for. And for what? A hockey game. I thought about writing about it. So many emotions and so much talk about it everywhere. I thought about it and then I thought about it some more. I pondered and wondered. Then time started passing. More time passed. It became clear to me- in the end I never really wanted to express anything here at all. Move on and get over it. I will leave it at this - it's come, it's gone and hopefully we have learned a bit more and come out positively from it. I hope there is proper justice and the people that did this learn and become better people. That those that are/were angered do not/did not act out some sort of vigilante justice - leave it to the police. Had I written about it 2 months ago it would have been timely to pour out my thoughts and feelings but now, it's just bringing up the past and I'd rather look onto the future. Look at things like Vancouver finally has summer weather, my birthday is coming up in the fall, Hockey starts again in Oct and that I'm going to Hawaii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We should never forget our past - we are meant to learn from it, however, some things from our past are not meant to define us. So I'm going to enjoy the rest of the summer and enjoy the fabulous fall - a season that I am liking more and more. Happy rest of August everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, feedback, opinions and ideas welcome.